These crispy onion rings are dusted with chicharon and shrimp chip crumbles!
CRISPY CHICHARON ONION RINGS
I was at my mother’s house and was craving onion rings cause I’m a bit Jicama Fried Out! I tend to get bored of having the same food more than 3 times. LoL
So I looked inside her pantry and there were NO panko crumbs or bread crumbs. Ahh! But guess what was in there?!? A bag of Chicharons and Shrimp chips.
I bet, almost all Filipino household will have Chicharons or Shrimp chips for their sodium snack craving…Right?! And then it happened… Just bake these instead of deep frying them. Less oil to waste!
I also experiemented with Chayote Squash and turned them into Chayote Fries. They’re also dusted with chicharon crumbles too! It’s so popular on my blog right now.
I’m sure some food blogger might have thought of this idea already and much props to you! But here is my version:
- Small yellow onion
- Bag of Chicharons (crushed or crumbled)
- Bag of Shrimp Chips (optional)
- 2 Cage Free Eggs
- All Purpose Flour
- Cayenne Pepper – For that kick of spice!
- Cooking Spray (EVOO)
HOW TO BAKE CHICHARON ONION RINGS
Open the bag of chicharons so the air can let out then start punching the bag but clinch the open part so crumbs wont fly off! Transfer to a bowl and set aside. (Optional: smash the shrimp chips for additional flavoring)
Crack and scramble your eggs in another bowl
Slice your onions about 3/4- 1″ thick and separate the rings
In another bowl dump your flour and cayenne pepper. Coat your rings evenly, then in another bowl dip your rings in the egg mixture. Then in another bowl coat with the crushed chicharons. Keep repeating until all your rings have been coated
Line baking sheet parchment paper. Place your onion rings on them spread apart without overlapping. Then spray your onion rings with cooking spray on one side and flip them over and spray again so they can turn out crunchyLicious
Bake for 10 mins then flip them over and bake for another 10 mins.
Once you take them out. Just eat them and enjoy TooTz!
SERVE THESE ONION RINGS WITH
- 1 small yellow onion
- 1/2-1 bag of Chicharon (crushed/crumbled)
- 2 whole Cage Free Eggs
- 1/2 cup All Purpose Flour
- 1 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- Cooking Spray (EVOO)
- 1/2-1 bag Shrimp Chips (optional)
- Preheat oven at 400 degrees.
- Slice your onions about 3/4- 1″ thick and separate the rings. Set aside.
- Open the bag of chicharons so the air can come out. Start crumbling the chicharons that are inside bag but clinch the open part so crumbs won't fly off! Transfer to a bowl and set aside. (Optional: smash the shrimp chips the same way for additional flavoring)
- Crack and scramble your eggs in another bowl.
- In another bowl mix together the flour and cayenne pepper. Coat your sliced onions evenly, then in another bowl dip your rings in the egg mixture. Then in another bowl coat with the crushed chicharons. Keep repeating the process until all your rings have been coated
- Line baking sheet parchment paper. Place your onion rings on the baking sheet and spread the rings apart without overlapping. Spray your onion rings with cooking spray on one side and flip them over and spray the other side so the rings are coated.
- Bake for 10 mins then flip them over and bake for another 10 mins.
- Let the onion rings cool on a rack. Enjoy and devour TOOTz!
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is an approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site.