A hearty meal made with shredded chicken simmered in a savory red chili. You can eat this straight from the bowl or use as a dip!
RED CHICKEN CHILI OVERVIEW
You know we’re originally from Los Angeles, and when we think of chili, we think of the meaty type. That’s what we were missing. The kind where they have Chili Cheeseburgers from Tommy’s Restaurants or even the Chili Hot Dogs that you’ll get from Pink’s in Los Angeles.
Living in Albuquerque, you’ll notice that chili isn’t the same “meaty chili” here. All the restaurants and fast food chains mainly serve the “red” or “green chile”. (The one’s that are hot and spicy that comes from chiles.) Just wanted to clarify that there is a difference and you’ll need to explain yourselves when ordering and using the word, “chili” vs. “chile” if you ever visit New Mexico.
So, I thought I would just rekindle the fond memories of having that meaty type of chili and create my own version of Red Chicken Chile!
THE CHILI BREAKDOWN
- Shredded Chicken – Protein!
- Hormel Turkey Chili Fat Free – Canned pantry goods
- Frozen Corn – Lasts for a while!
- Red Kidney Beans – Get Your Fiber, Tootz!
HOW LONG DOES IT LASTS?
This chili will lasts up to 3 days in the fridge in a sealed container or a couple of months in the freezer.
CAN THIS BE A DIP?
Absolutely! Go ahead and dunk those tortilla chips just like what I’ve done.
DIET TRENDSETTERS SUBSTITUTIONS
If you have any dietary concerns, follow what is best for you. Read the nutrition labels. These are just some suggestions to keep in mind.
GO MEATLESS – Use Textured Meat, Soy Curls, Meatless Crumbles
KETO / PALEO / LOW CARB – Don’t add the beans and use sugar free BBQ Sauce
LOW SALT / SODIUM – Don’t add salt. Use salt substitutes or other herbs and spices for more flavoring. Make sure you use low sodium as some canned foods contain a high amount of sodium to preserved their products.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links that earn me a small commission, at no additional cost to you. I only recommend products I personally use and love, or think my readers will find useful. Thanks Tootz!
RED CHICKEN CHILI
- 3 6 oz Chicken Breasts
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Chili Powder
- Smoke Paprika
- 2 tbsp Coconut oil any cooking oil
- 1 15oz can Hormel Turkey Chili No Beans
- 1/2 19oz can Reduced Sodium Tomato Basil Soup
- 1 tsp minced Garlic
- 1/2 small diced Yellow Onions
- 1/2 15oz. canned Unsalted Dark Red Kidney Beans
- 1/3 cup Frozen Corn
- 2 tsp Organic Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 tsp Ketchup
- 1 tbsp of #Peace
COOKING THE CHICKEN
- Generously, season both sides of the chicken breasts with the garlic, onion, chili, smoke paprika, and cayenne. In a medium saucepan over medium high heat, add oil. Cook and fry the chicken breasts for 4 minutes each side. When done, set aside in a bowl to cool. Once cool, shred the chickens.
- With the same saucepan, add oil over medium high heat. Saute garlic and onions until fragrant and translucent. Add the Turkey Chili, Tomato Basil Soup, kidney beans, corn, ACV, ketchup, and shredded chicken. Lower heat down to low-medium and simmer for 15-20 minutes. Make sure to stir the contents in the pot every few minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings to flavor.
- Serve in a bowl. Add diced onions with/or tortilla chips for garnish.
- Can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge up to 3 days
- Cooking times may vary. I have an electric stove and not a gas stove.
Since you’re still voyeuring here, jump on these and try them out:
Holla at yo girl and sweet talk to me below TOOTz!
AIGHT I’M OUTRO…
Thanks! You have to try this soon!