This Black Beans and Mushrooms Udon Noodles Soup has suprising flavors that will tingle your plant-forward palates. It’s easy to make, dairy free, low in sodium, vegan, and ready to make in less than 30 minutes!
This is my second entry to The 2nd Fortune Udon Noodle Blogger Recipe Challenge. If you missed my first submission, it was my Hatch Chile Chicken Udon Soup – a flair of New Mexico mixed with Asian Udon Noodles! I was so glad that JSL Foods sent me a package that included vegan noodles! My recipe is repping for my plant forward, vegetarians, and vegan followers!
You should’ve seen how many ideas I came up with but for this challenge, I wanted to ceate something unique, but healthy, and simple to make with ingredients you have in your pantry/kitchen. I had some Bella Mushrooms laying seductively in my fridge and I had a can of Black Beans taunting me on top of my pantry shelf. Thus, creating this Magical Black Beans and Mushrooms Udon Noodles Soup.
WHY IS THIS SOUP MAGICAL?
So February is Love Day and also Heart Health Month – a good way to mix these two occassions together to create a healthy soup. This noodle soup is packed with hidden veggies to provide you with essential nutrients, vitamins and fiber!
Let’s explore the magical potion mixed within this bowl of soup:
- Black Beans (one of the main ingredients creating the dark black color in the soup) are packed with protein and fiber to help move the bowels. They help fight heart disease and controls the blood sugars.
- Mushrooms or Bella Mushrooms – The fungus used thats creates the brownish color and the umami flavor, are packed with B vitamins and sourced with vitamin D, and has selenium. Mushrooms helps protect the heart by maintaining healthy blood pressure.
- Nutritional Yeasts – I refer to them as Fairy Hippie Dusts! They provide the cheesy nutty tastes in the soup without the high calories and fat. Nutritional yeasts also contains protein, B vitamins, and antioxidants. Also helps defend my eye disease (Macular Degeneration).
- Onions and Garlic – The OG’s that I always include in almost all of my recipes to add flavors without the sodium.
- Chipotle Pepper in Adobo Sauce just adds the “meaty” yet spicy-smoky flavor to the soup.
- Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil – The healthier saturated fat that raises the good HDL cholesterol in your blood, and can reduce heart disease. Plus, I like the coconut flavor added in the soup!
You can go further into researching the rest of these ingredients as this is just the synopsis. Therefore, the ingredients used all contain vitamins, support the heart, and can nurture your body during the winter and flu seasons.
THE BLACK BEANS AND MUSHROOM BREAKDOWN
- Whole Bella Mushrooms – sliced
- Black Beans – rinse and drained
- Fairy Hippie Dusts (Nutritional Yeast)
- Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
- The OG’s (Onion and Garlic)
- Whole Chipotle Pepper in Adobo Sauce – Optional
- Vegan Fortune Udon Noodles in Mushroom Flavor
FORTUNE UDON NOODLES
These Fortune Udon Noodles comes in 3 flavors: Mushroom Flavor (Vegan), Chicken Flavor, and Shoyu Flavor!
The udon noodles are pre-cooked and made from only 4 ingredients – water, wheat flour, flaxseed, and salt. The soup bases are different depending on what flavors you choose to use. There are 130mg of ALA Omega-3 per servings with 0g of corn sweetener. You know what’s even cooler? You can freeze these noodles of to 3 months. All you have to do when you are ready to cook them is to defrost in your fridge or warm in boiling water!
As always, I split the soup into two servings for our dinner. Honestly, the thick pureed veggies and noodles together are very filling because of its ingredients. You can always have the whole soup to yourself!
JOCK THESE OTHER RECIPES
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links that earn me a small commission, at no additional cost to you. I only recommend products I personally use and love, or think my readers will find useful. Thanks Tootz!
- 1 cup Whole Baby Bella Mushrooms (sliced)
- 1 15 oz can Black Beans (washed and drained)
- 2 Garlic Cloves (minced)
- 2 tbsp chopped Yellow Onions
- 1/2 tsp Cracked Black Pepper
- 1 tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- 1 tbsp Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
- 1 piece of Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce (roughly chopped)
- 1 package Vegan Fortune Udon Noodles Mushroom flavored (cooked)
- 1 Mushroom Soup Based packet from packaging + 2 cups reserved liquid from soup
- 1/2 cup Plant Milk or Nut Milk (I used Almond)
- 1-2 stalks of Green Onions (for garnish)
- Pinch of #Magic
- Microwave udon noodles with 2 cups of water. I used half of the packet and saved the rest of the packet for the puree later. Once udon noodles are cooked, drain and reserve the liquid from soup to use for the puree. Set noodles aside, reserving 2 cups of the liquid from the soup for pureeing.
- In a medium saucepan, heat oil in medium high heat. Add garlic and onions and saute until tender. Add mushrooms. Saute for about 3-5 minutes to sweat the mushrooms. (They will shrink.) Add the black beans and the reserve soup from the noodles. Cook until black beans are soft and tender. Add chipotle pepper, black pepper, nutritional yeast, and the other half of the soup based packet, some green onions, and milk. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Transfer to the blender cup. Puree the black beans and chipotle with the reserved liquid from soup in a high speed blender. Please be careful as the soup is still hot. You may want to let it cool first, then puree.
- Pour the pureed soup over the noodles. Garnish with mushrooms and green onions. Serve immediately.
- You may omit the chipotle pepper if you can not take on the heat.
- Add more milk to lessen the heat from the chipotle pepper.
- If you do not have chipotle peppers, use 1 tbsp of hot sauce.
- If the puree is thick, add more water.
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is an approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site.
Since you’re still voyeuring here, jump on these and try them out:
Holla at yo girl and sweet talk to me below TOOTz!
AIGHT I’M OUTRO…