These egg rolls (Filipino lumpias) are vegetarian and are the perfect appetizers for any gathering! The egg rolls are sautéed with fresh celery, cabbage, and carrots, then deep fried until crispy golden. Serve them with my vinegar dipping sauce for the ultimate appetizer combo!
These Filipino egg rolls are called Lumpia. It’s part of the Filipino cuisine and are often smaller in size but we make them thick. They are typically stuffed with ground meat and are rolled in a crepe like wrapper. In this case, we stuffed it with vegetales to make it healthier.
It’s funny when I come across a Filipino Aunt or Uncle and I tell them I’m a food blogger. They look at my blog and ask with their Filipino accent, “Where’s the lumpia recipe? You don’t have lumpia on here but you have Chicken Adobo and Pancit!!” Well here’s a Lumpia recipe now, Tita/Tito!
HERE’S A LITTLE BACK STORY
My momzy’s best friend, Auntie Evelyn passed down her recipe called, Triple C Lumpia. It consists of all the veggies that start with the letter “C” – Cabbage, Carrots, and Celery. Of course crispy and crunchy too! We decided to try these lumpia out.
You can always find these lumpias at all the Filipino gatherings or any social event. Once someone knows you’re Filipino at your work, they’ll request you to bring some lumpias for potlucks. I get that alot!
I personally love dipping the lumpias in vinegar sauce. The vinegar sauce compliments the fried eggrolls. Another condiment I like to dip them in is with banana ketchup. It’s another staple that Filipinos have in their pantry. It’s a sweet tasting condiment unlike tomato ketchup. Just like how Americans have ketchup, we have banana ketchup!
I also like eating them with rice as a main dish. Yeah, let’s add the carbs too. But then, I like eating by itself. It’s pretty filling after having 5 pieces of egg rolls. They’re just too addicting.
Whether you are a vegetarian or just looking for a meatless meal option, this recipe is sure to satisfy your taste buds.
HEALTH BENEFITS OF VEGETARIAN EGG ROLLS
These vegetarian egg rolls are a healthy and nutritious snack that is packed with vitamins and minerals. The fresh vegetables used in this dish provide a range of health benefits, including:
- CARROTS: Carrots are an excellent source of vitamin A, which is essential for maintaining healthy eyesight. They are also rich in antioxidants, which help to protect the body from harmful free radicals.
- CABBAGE: Cabbage is a cruciferous vegetable that is packed with nutrition. It is a great source of vitamin C and vitamin K, as well as fiber and antioxidants.
- CELERY: Celery is a low-calorie vegetable that is high in fiber and water. It is also a good source of vitamins and minerals, including vitamin K, folate, and potassium.
Incorporating these vegetables into your diet can help to improve your overall health and well-being. Vegetarian egg rolls are a great way to enjoy these vegetables in a delicious and satisfying way.
- CABBAGE – You’ll need a head of cabbage, diced and chopped.
- CARROTS – Grab about 6 carrots and finely chopped.
- CELERY – Grab 6 celery stalks and finely chop them too.
- GARLIC – To add more flavor.
- OYSTER SAUCE – To get the umami flavored taste.
- SALT & PEPPER
- LUMPIA WRAPPERS – We used the Panama Brand Lumpia wrapper. You can find them at the Asian isle or your local Asian market. We went to a Filipino store called “Seafood City” in Los Angeles.
- OIL FOR DEEP FRYING
HOW TO MAKE VEGETARIAN EGG ROLLS
This recipe yields about 25-30 vegetarian lumpia rolls. You can easily make a large batch of these for parties or gatherings.
In a large bowl, mix together the celery, cabbage, carrots, garlic, oyster sauce, salt, and black pepper.
Using a lumpia wrapper, place a tablespoon of the vegetable mixture in the center of the wrapper.
Roll the wrapper tightly, folding in the sides, and continue to roll until all the ingredients are enclosed. Seal with water at the end.
Repeat until all the vegetable mixture has been used.
In a deep frying pan, heat up enough oil to cover the egg roll.
Once the oil is hot, gently place the egg roll in the oil, making sure not to overcrowd the pan.
Fry the egg roll until golden brown on all sides.
Remove the egg roll from the oil and place on a paper towel to drain the excess oil.
Serve hot with garlic vinegar dipping sauce.
DIET TRENDSETTERS SUBSTITUTIONS
VEGAN – Replace the oyster sauce for vegan oyster sauce.
LOW CARB – Disregard using the lumpia wrappers and turn it into lumpia in a bowl!
GLUTEN FREE – You use rice paper instead of lumpia wrappers. Buy the square kind and not the circled ones.
PROTEIN – Keep it traditional by adding lean ground meat such as ground beef, pork, chicken, or turkey.
Store in resealable bags and keep in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
To freeze, arrange the lumpia in a single layer with some space in between on a plate or baking sheet. Freeze for about 1 hour until they’re harden. This will prevent them from sticking together. Transfer into resealable bags and freeze for up to 3 months.
To fry straight from the freezer, don’t thaw! If you thaw them, they will wilt and it’ll be a mess when frying.
Heat about 2 inches of oil enough to cover the egg rolls at 350F. Carefully add the rolls. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes until golden, crispy, and fully cooked.
Overall, these vegetarian egg rolls are a tasty and healthy addition to your appetizers. They are easy to make, requires minimal ingredients, and is perfect for vegetarians and non-vegetarians alike. Try this recipe out today and enjoy these delicious and guilt-free egg rolls.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links that earn me a small commission, at no additional cost to you. I only recommend products I personally use and love, or think my readers will find useful. Thanks Tootz!
- In a large bowl, mix together the celery, cabbage, carrots, garlic, oyster sauce, salt, and black pepper.
- Using a lumpia wrapper, place a tablespoon of the vegetable mixture in the center of the wrapper.
- Roll the wrapper tightly, folding in the sides, and continue to roll until all the ingredients are enclosed. Seal with water at the end.
- Repeat until all the vegetable mixture has been used.
- In a deep frying pan, heat up enough oil to cover the egg roll.
- Once the oil is hot, gently place the egg roll in the oil, making sure not to overcrowd the pan.
- Fry the egg roll until golden brown on all sides.
- Remove the egg roll from the oil and place on a paper towel to drain the excess oil.
- Serve hot with garlic vinegar dipping sauce.
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is an approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site.
STILL VOYEURING HERE? CHECK THESE OTHER FILIPINO RECIPES OUT!
Holla at yo girl and leave a sweet comment below TOOTz!